The Department of Microbiology at MMM is an NABL accredited lab working 24 x 7 all through the year with state-of-the-art quality and lab management systems that caters to the needs of its users- the multi-specialty hospital with clinicians and walk-in patients. The Department is continuously striving to develop and update the antimicrobial usage policy and support the infection control program with routine surveillance, outbreak detection and management, antibiotic stewardship and increasing awareness among health care associated staff.
The department provides top-class facilities such as automated blood culture with the BacT/Alert system from bioMerieux which detects culture positives in as few as 4-6 hours. We have automated identification systems, Vitek Compact II that identify growth in 4-6 hours and also provide automated sensitivity reports with Minimum inhibitory Concentrations (MIC). We are also equipped with a carbon dioxide incubator for bacteriology and do anaerobic cultures with identification. Safety is our key concern, especially when handling organisms like Mycobacterium tuberculosis and some highly pathogenic fungi for which we have a level III biosafety cabinet. We are the proud owners of a fluorescent microscope which finds application in auramine based screening of Mycobacterium tuberculosis and calcoflour white based detection of fungi. Most serology tests are run on a Fluorescent Enzyme Immunoassay equipment- Mini Vidas, bioMerieux, France which runs the TORCH assays, Procalcitonin( results in 25 min) , Hepatitis A IgM, Clostridium difficle toxin production among others.
We have a basic molecular biology set-up with a Thermo cycler (Applied Bios stems) and an electrophoresis unit which is now the focus for development of DNA based molecular tests in the laboratory. The other equipments include a cryopreservation and cryoplanner that is useful in maintaining the homograft valve bank.
Expert services provided include:
- * Highly qualified staff headed by a Clinical Microbiologist.
- * Modern state-of-the-art equipment.
- * Accurate and rapid diagnosis for bacteriology, mycology, mycobacteriology and serology.
- * Infection control activities and WHONET link-up.
- * Academic services offered by the lab and its staff on regular basis- Projects for students, conduct of conferences regularly etc.
- * Identification of rare isolates from patients.
- * Surveillance activities include food, water and environment testing, outbreak investigation and follow-up.
- * Preparation of ,and audit of the hospital Antibiotic stewardship program.